Thursday, April 27, 2006

Monolithe - II

I find that I enjoy doom metal, especially funeral doom whenever the pensive mood strikes me, or whenever I have a long stretch of time to just relax and enjoy music. This morning I had the pleasure of working on a long assignment, and the perfect accompaniment was Monolithe!

I first heard about Monolithe from a friend, who played the first album on his radio show. It grabbed me as no other funeral doom did; the music was was epic, cohesive, and melodic. Unfortunately, I was only able to listen for a short while, but the name Monolithe stuck in my mind. I was impressed enough to track down both Monolithe albums. However alike these two releases are in length, structure, and mood, I find that I prefer the second release over the first and always crave to hear that one first.

Supposedly a side project of Sylvain and Marc from French doomsters Anthemon, and also featuring Nicolas from gothic metallers the Old Dead Tree, Monolithe have already become a well-respected band among doom metal circles. Dealing with the origin of mankind is no easy task, but this is what Monolithe attempts to accomplish in their full-length releases.

II is an epic 50 minutes and 25 seconds of languid, fluid, and mutating funeral doom. The atmosphere is amazing, we often hear long sustained keyboard lines floating behind the distorted guitars and low gutteral growls. The piece starts with some ambient noise from which a guitar line fades in, and we are treated to background strains of accordion as the piece progresses. The tempo holds constant as various lines of guitar moves to and fro often repeating, but occasionally something new. The piece ends just as mysteriously as it begins, slowly fading way into the void.

This release is metal at its other extreme: slow and long. Definitely recommended for fans of pensive funeral doom. Personally, I find it very relaxing yet stimulating at the same time; it wonderful to have on the background when doing something creative!